Re: Emacs 26.2 RC1 is out!

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.2 RC1 is out!
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 13:48:29 +0000

On Thu 21 Mar 2019, Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Is there a branch or a tag on the repository reflecting this version? I
>> couldn't find any, sorry if I missed it.
>
> As it is a release candidate, the tarball contains some changes related
> to the Emacs version being 26.2 and its release date (currently set to
> the 27th) that should not be pushed yet.

A tarball for distribution should not contain anything that has not
been committed to version control.

If you have content that you do not want to appear (yet) on the release
branch, then make a branch for the release candidate, tag a commit on
that branch and the checkout that tag to build the tarball.

> I can push a tag with all committed changes, but the idea is that my
> last commit could be tagged as the release.

Tags are cheap, so there is no reason not to tag the -rc1 build in the
tree, and then tag the actual release later on. If both tags point at
the same commit that is not a problem.

    AndyM