Re: Scan of regexps in Emacs (March 17)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Scan of regexps in Emacs (March 17)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 20:57:41 -0400

>> I wonder why the doc doesn't just say that `-` should be the last
>> character and not mention the other possibilities which just make the
>> rule unnecessarily complex.
> '-' can also be the first character in a regular expression; this is
> pretty common and is standard.

What I meant is that we should simply tell people to always put it at
the end.  AFAIK you can always put it at the end, so it's a simpler
rule to follow.  That doesn't mean we have to reject a `-` in other
positions (so we can also accept the usual other rule, but we don't
need to advertise it as much as the main rule).

        Stefan