Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 11:13:54 -0400

> This was actually going to be my follow-up question :) I see lines of
> variable height in many of most of my Emacs mode, through a combination of
> factors:
>
> - Font switches due to symbols picked by prettify-symbols-mode not being
> available in my main programming font
> - Variable-pitch fonts being used by AucTeX for section and paragraph titles
> - Varying font sizes to indicate nesting depth in Org-mode
> - Changing line spacing to separate top-level items in org-mode

I also see such variations due to my use of fonts instead of colors
for font-lock highlighting: I use different fonts for the keyword-face
and the doc-face.  I try to choose them such that they take up exactly
the same number of pixels as my default font, but it's a pretty
delicate/brittle business.

So I agree it's a case we should try and handle "correctly".

        Stefan