Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 02:03:13 +0100

Hi:

The variable fill-column is defined in the buffer.c file. I should
access it in every display_line when display-fill-column is enabled if I
want to keep the difference between display-fill-column-indicator-column
and fill-column. (when display-fill-column-indicator is t).

Whats the better method to do that?

I think that doing the check every time display_line is called is
something not really needed because a redisplay is triggered when those
variables change, so maybe is better to do a variable update in the
redisplay there and then we can access directly an int variable without
the need to call all the if-&&-else for every line. That must be cleaner
because the checking and comparisons will be just in one part of the
code. But I am wondering if that could have some undesired side effect.