Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 20:51:12 +0100

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 04:59:16PM +0000, Drew Adams wrote:

Hi Drew:

(Caveat: I haven't really been following this thread.
Apologies if I misunderstand the intention or the
scope, e.g., if this is off topic.)

I guess y'all are trying to come up with the ability
to have vertical display lines similar to window
dividers - maybe 1-pixel wide (or configurable as
N pixels wide?).

Keith is apparently working on such a thing for a
fake-cursors implementation.  And this thread is
about using such a thing for indicating the fill
column.

Not really, this patch is a much much simpler solution for a much much
less complex use case.

The fci functionality is in my opinion a very basic code editor
functionality and the solution already available was going to be
unmaintained and had incompatibilities with show-trailing-whitespace.

Eli replied to this a couple of days ago.

Up to now I implemented this to add 1 single vertical line to a
position, the expansion to multiple lines is something possible, but I
don't find a general enough use case that deserves to do so; but if we
find one we can work on that in the future.

I didn't want to over-specify the functionality or produce excessive
overhead in a key place like the display engine. So being a KISS was
part of the intention.

Do I understand that right?  If so, will the approach
to doing this be general, so the same implementation
(in C) can be used for both of these applications?

I don't think so; at least not in an easy way.
In that case, could it also be used also for vertical
lines separating table cells and other things.

I think that those use cases must be better implemented in elisp as the
use cases will be very specific.

If so (if we'll have a general feature for such
support) will there be something similar for
horizontal lines?

This one is easy, to implement if it is not already; but I don't think
it even requires to go in the display engine.
And will we be able to limit
such lines (start and stop positions), or will

If there is a real use case we can add that functionality, but now it is
not implemented.

they always be across an entire window?

For now yes.

I hope this answers all your doubts?