Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 15:07:06 +0100

Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> This was actually going to be my follow-up question :) I see lines of
> variable height in many of most of my Emacs mode, through a
> combination of factors:
>
> - Font switches due to symbols picked by prettify-symbols-mode not
> being available in my main programming font
> - Variable-pitch fonts being used by AucTeX for section and paragraph titles
> - Varying font sizes to indicate nesting depth in Org-mode
> - Changing line spacing to separate top-level items in org-mode

I don't understand how this feature can make sense for lines with
non-monospaced fonts. The purpose is to know two things:

1. How far we are from the limit column.
2. If the limit was surpassed.

For 2 there are some handy packages (column-overflow-mode, for instance)
that should work for non-monospaced fonts. For 1 the system has no way
of knowing where to put the line, because it depends on the text that we
are going to write.

What I'm missing?