Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:54:41 -0400

On 15/03/2019 10.07, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> What I'm missing?

I this I see what caused the confusion.  There are two answers:

- First, at least one of the examples I mentioned involves changes in line
height, not in character width; that's the part I worry most about.
- Second, I believe the 80-character limits is usually intended to serve as a
bound on the width of the text on display (the assumption being that short
lines are easier to read than long ones, and that keeping a limited width makes
it easier to show multiple text fragments side by side).  When the text is
monospace, it's natural to express the limit in terms of a number of
characters.  When the text is displayed in a variable-pitch font, the natural
equivalent is to express the limit in pixels or em units.  IOW, a long lines
indicator still makes sense even for variable-pitch fonts; you just don't want
it to count characters.

Clément.