Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:43:22 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Alp Aker <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:19:04 -0400
>
> I did not have a dynamically sized images in mind, only fixed-height
> images.  They offer a way of achieving the graphical effect that some
> people in this thread have requested that would involve, as you point
> out, only a trivial extension of what Ergus has already done.

Right.

> Would lack of support for variable line heights be an issue?

I hope not, at least not initially.  But Clément seems to think
otherwise.

> I can only offer my experience here as the author of
> fill-column-indicator.  Among the many issues that package has, lack
> of support for variable line heights in a window hasn't been one of
> them.  It just isn't something users have requested.

This is Emacs: as soon as you offer a feature that solves N problems
users always wanted solved, someone will come up and argue that
solution for the N+1th problem is an absolute must to have ;-)

> A choice between image and character was what I had in mind.  (If a
> buffer is displayed on both GUI and TTY frames, you can even use both at
> the same time, which is what fci-mode does.)
>
> I wouldn't expect end users to create their own images.  Again, I can
> only offer my own experience, but the only customization requests I've
> received have been for (a) color, (b) thickness, and (c) dashed vs.
> solid.  Those can be offered as simple customization options.  Arbitrary
> user defined images are possible on this scheme, but wouldn't be the
> basic mode of customization.

Sounds like we are in violent agreement, then.  Thanks for your
comments, the experience of fci-mode is, of course, something we
should learn from when we design the customization facilities of this
new implementation.