Re: visual-region-mode?

From: hw
Subject: Re: visual-region-mode?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 01:11:47 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> The hidden regions mean that I always have to consider that they are
>> always there so that I do not make a mistake in the first place.  That
>> makes me feel uneasy.
>
> To be clear:
>
> 1. There is only ever one region per buffer - not regions.
>
> 2. Wrt "hidden": The cursor is the point end of the region. It, at
> least, is always visible, never hidden. The region might not be
> highlighted, but its text is typically not hidden (invisible).
>
> So it would be more accurate for you to speak of the region (singular) not
> being _highlighted_.

At least the beginning of the region can be hidden (not on display).
The mark is always hidden (invisible).

The mark being invisible and the region not highlighted make the region
hidden (I can't see what it contains and not really where it is.).

That point "marks" the end of the region is an irrelevant technicality,
and that point always drags an invisible (imaginary) tail either in
front of it or behind it is confusing.  It does not contribute to making
the region unhidden.  Of course, I could use point to imagine something,
but I don't want to.

The region is just something "hidden", one for each buffer or window,
unless highlighted.  Being more accurate about it doesn't make me feel
less uneasy about it.

I still don't understand why the selection (not the region) can not be
highlighted when transient-mark-mode is disabled and why the mark can
not be indicated.

Since we are at it, why doesn't point at least indicate in which
direction the imaginary tail goes?