Re: visual-region-mode?

From: Charles A. Roelli
Subject: Re: visual-region-mode?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 21:22:29 +0200

> From: hw <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 22:36:30 +0200
>
> Having clarified which operations can be used with a region doesn't mean
> that working with a region can be efficiently done.

It does for me.  For example, see the output of M-x -region TAB.  By
just knowing a smidgeon of these commands, you can work very
efficiently with a region, with all the documentation and help Emacs
provides.  If we somehow "disarm" the region by default (as you have
suggested), the use of all these commands would be less efficient.

> > The "hidden regions" can only be a source of error if you type, say,
> > C-w or M-w at random during editing.
>
> What about upcase-region, downcase-region and others that don't come to
> mind atm?  They already clash with transient-mark-mode and are as unsafe
> as C-w and M-w.  Changing mark-even-if-inactive to nil is required to
> prevent that --- why isn't that the default?

These commands are already disabled by default.

> The hidden regions mean that I always have to consider that they are
> always there so that I do not make a mistake in the first place.  That
> makes me feel uneasy.

What's the worst that could happen?  We have so many ways to recover
from these sorts of errors: autosaves, backups, VC,
diff-buffer-with-file, ...

In addition, for buffers that you think should have additional
protection against accidental edits, there's "view-mode".