Re: visual-region-mode?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: visual-region-mode?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 03:11:47 +0300

> The region is just something "hidden", one for each buffer or window,
> unless highlighted.  Being more accurate about it doesn't make me feel
> less uneasy about it.

I'm not sure what is worse: "hidden region" or "hidden selection".

What you call "hidden region" is undoubtedly dangerous: when you forget
you had a mark in the buffer and accidentally call a disastrous command
like C-w whose catastrophic consequences may go unnoticed.  This happens
when the region is not highlighted, so you don't see it.

But "hidden selection" that you proposed has the same flaw: when
you create a permanent selection, and move point to another part of
the buffer, so the selection scrolls off-screen, you don't see it anymore,
and might forget it's still active somewhere in the buffer, then
accidentally typing C-w will have the same consequences as in case
of "hidden region".