Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut... [+ help-gnu-emacs:

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: emacs locked when internet connection is cut... [+ help-gnu-emacs: Invalid read syntax: ")" ]
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 09:43:56 +0900

On May 8, 2018, at 3:05, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

When I reconfigured emacs with  --enable-checking='yes,glyphs' --enable-check-lisp-object-type
CFLAGS='-O0 -g3', to attach gdb, I ended up with a build that generated an "Invalid read syntax ")" error every
time I started emacs *even though I had not modified my init file* (~/.emacs.el).

Once I reverted to a normal configuration, that same init file was evaluated without any issues.

Also, When I was running emacs -q on that modified configuration the issue seemed to center on the (require
'package) line, but when I commented it out I still had the same error...

What can I do to investigate this ?

Put a breakpoint in Fsignal, and when it reports this error, show the backtrace.

When I check the emacs manual, the only reference to Fsignal is:

"To make Lisp errors stop Emacs and return to GDB, put a breakpoint at Fsignal."

Also, there is no reference to Fsignal in the GDB manual.

Jean-Christophe Helary
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune