Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:10:51 +0200

Tom <address@hidden> writes:

>> Ok, good example. It can fly if it will get enough visibility(perhaps
>> on slashdot).But what about support? Emacs and Java are constantly in
>> development. New version will come out and additional work will be
>> required. Another kickstarter might be a solution,
>
> Code maintenance is easier. The hard task is implementing the feature
> itself. I'm sure if a really good Java support were implemented then
> there would be people who'd pick up the torch if the original
> developer wouldn't want work on it anymore.

Just to throw something in: Vim has very good Java support simply by
piggy-backing on Eclipse, which can run headless and be controlled via
the command line.

  http://eclim.org/

So basically, vim only needs to implement proper syntax-highlighting for
Java, and the rest (auto-completion, refactoring, project management) is
done by invoking the right command on the Eclipse side.

There's also an Emacs port of Eclim.

  https://github.com/senny/emacs-eclim

Not sure how well that works right now, but that might be a rather cheap
option to catch up on Java support in Emacs.  The downside of this
approach is of course that you still need Eclipse...

Bye,
Tassilo