Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:34:43 +0000 (UTC)

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/306316578/light-table
>
> Interesting.  May I know how this project is related to Emacs?  Please
> enlighten me on how it improves the Emacs eco-system?

I can't decide if you really don't understand or you just pretend not
understanding it for some reason.

The above link was an example for a software project which is funded
by users. This thread is about applying the same concept (implementing
features funded by users) to emacs development.

There are some features like multi-occur which do not need such funding
because people can easily implement them in their freetime. However,
there are more complex features (one such example is advanced
Java support) regarding which Emacs lags behind other editors/IDEs.

Apparently, these advanced features need so much effort and development
time that developers are not willing to work on it in their free time,
beside their regular jobs or other commitments.

Here comes in the picture this funding model. If such features can
be prefunded by users, so that a motivated developer can work on it
full time for months then they can get implemented which otherwise
probably would not happen due to lack of free developer resources.