Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 18:08:32 +0200

On Apr 18, 2012, at 9:08 AM, Tom wrote:

> I wonder if there be would be enough backers to implement such features
> in emacs. Could it be an alternative model for funding Emacs development?
> (Of course, the code should be GPL and stuff, so it would be released
> to the community when the project is completed.)

How much would it cost me to get the python modes combined into one?  Ideally
being backwards compatible with your python-mode of choice.  This is a perfect
project I think because it's a large initial undertaking but no additional
maintenance work would be necessary once it's done.  If nothing else we could
use the money to pay people to not use different modes.  :-)

Also, when I was working on php, I would have been happy to shell out a little
for a better php mode.  I don't remember the details of what I wanted now, but
I'm sure there are others who feel the same.  Though I recently read about a
new php mode, so maybe this has been taken care of.

Really good support for multiple modes is another that would get lots of
backers I think.  I certainly don't have the expertise to even speculate on how
hard it would be, but I would be willing to pitch in some money for it if I
thought it would actually get done well.  I say that not to disparage mmm-mode
and friends, but I think it has to be taken into account at a very low level.

Those are a few of my itches that I think could be funded with this model.  I'm
sure scouring EmacsWiki would unearth several more.

-Ivan