Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 07:50:24 +0000 (UTC)

Tom <adatgyujto <at> gmail.com> writes:

> There were successes with this model on Kickstarter and knowing the
> enthusiasm of Emacs users it may work for Emacs too.
>
> (Kickstart itself is not the point, the model is.)

I checked out Kickstarter's FAQ and it says:

  I only need to raise a small amount of funding. Is Kickstarter
  for me?

  Absolutely! Kickstarter is for creative projects big and small,
  serious and whimsical, traditional and experimental. Small
  projects that you (or you and a few friends) can do over a
  weekend are perfect for Kickstarter. In fact, the most common
  projects on Kickstarter are not blockbusters but smaller projects
  that raise $5,000 or less. Check out some fun project stats and
  some currently funding Small Projects looking to raise $1,000 or
  less.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter%20basics#HowDoIStarAProj

So it looks like it would be suitable for smaller projects too and
apparently people do use it to fund software projects like this one
which aims to create a better coffeescript compiler:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1182995593/make-a-better-coffeescript-compiler?
ref=live