Re: Improving X selection?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:41:50 +0000

On 07/02/2008, Stephen J. Turnbull <address@hidden> wrote:
> David De La Harpe Golden writes:
>
>  > I thought of that, but wanted to avoid "select" because of its X11
>  > usage:  that which is cut is also a selection in X11 terms.
>
> Well, yes, you can't cut without selection, but I've never heard
> "select" used to mean "cut".  A selection is just a region of a
> window, which can be deleted, cut, copied (with or without
> translation) or replaced as a single unit.
>
> +1 for "select" rather than "highlight", and for "insert" as opposed
> to "lightins".

Okay, but then you have to be very careful about what
x-select-enable-clipboard (or even a "select-enable-clipboard")
actually denotes IMO:

By that reading, a logical interpretation of a boolean var called
select-enable-clipboard might be that when t, when text is merely
selected, the clipboard is to be affected, and not the current meaning
(that is: whether the  X11 CLIPBOARD selection should be affected or
consulted in various kill/yank/select operations!).

Thus, this patch's x-select-enable-clipboard if named for clarity rather than
backward-compatibility would be called something like
"enable-clipboard-for", taking a list of one or more of :cut, :paste,
:select and :insert. (or kill, yank, select and insert)