Re: Default face problem

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Default face problem
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 09:42:44 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Yes, it is.  But IIRC the font selection mechanism tries to distinguish
>>> between bitmap-scaled and vector-scaled fonts by checking the presence of
>>> another instance of the font, with a non-0 size (i.e. a bitmap font).

>> Which font selection mechanism do you mean here?  At least,
>> Emacs doesn't do that.  Emacs determines a font is
>> auto-scaled if it's RESY is not zero and POINT_SIZE is zero.

> Hmm... maybe I'm confusing things.  At least I remember that at some point,
> there was a special case where a bitmap font of a slightly different size
> than requested was preferred over a scaled (whether bitmap or vector) font.

Yes.  At least that is true.  The macro
FONT_POINT_SIZE_QUANTUM (defined as 5 in xfaces.c) plays a
role here.  After getting a list of fonts,
best_matching_font () at first checks all bitmap fonts to
find a font matching exactly with the face request.  At that
time, the difference of point sizes less than
FONT_POINT_SIZE_QUANTUM is ignored.  And if a exactly
matching (bitmap) font is found, it is returned without
further checking scalable fonts.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden