Re: Default face problem

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Default face problem
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 08:34:08 -0400

>> For what it's worth, "scalable-fonts-allowed" refers to vector-fonts
>> (which are inherently scalable).  Whereas you're talking about scaling
>> a bitmap font.

> So, for X windows, I think this kind of font is also a kind
> of scalabe font.
>      -xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--0-0-72-72-c-0-iso8859-1

Yes, it is.  But IIRC the font selection mechanism tries to distinguish
between bitmap-scaled and vector-scaled fonts by checking the presence of
another instance of the font, with a non-0 size (i.e. a bitmap font).
It's only a heuristic of course: you could very well have a TrueType font
together with some hand-tuned bitmap versions of it for some specific sizes.
But it avoids the otherwise almost systematic use of the truly hideous
bitmap-scaled fonts.

        Stefan