Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:08:27 +1200

> Oh, you meant for DVD+R *writers* manufactured 2004 and later.  I thought
> you meant for standalone consumer DVD *players* manufactured 2004 or later.

No I did mean computer dvdrom drives. If they're manufactured 2004 or
later they should always be able to read everything. Many dvdrom drives
manufactured in 2003 can also read everything, but there probably were
still some sold who couldn't read DVD+R or DVD+RW. "Read everything"
here means "meant to read everything", there are always some
combinations of dvdrom drive and media brand which don't work. And the
probability of some dvdrom drive failing to accept DVD+R media XYZ are
not higher than a failure with DVD-R media XYZ, for drives of 2004 or
later (and many earlier).

Consumer video players can usually read DVD+R(W) since about 2004, but
the packaging will say. Some players can also read some brands of media
types for which they aren't specified, so it's worth trying.

Burners aren't so much the issue, assuming you stick to the media
varieties which the burner can actually burn. And obviously assuming the
burner was designed to burn all formats.

This all from my relatively small sample size.

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann                 is possibly list0570 with the domain in header
http://volker.dnsalias.net/             Please do not CC list postings to me.