Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support

From: Bryan J . Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] DVD+R/+RW support
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:24:28 -0800

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
Pretty silly comment.

Not silly at all for those who bought 1st Gen DVD+RW drives back in 2001 with the promise of DVD+R compatibility. As I said, Sony/Philips has falsely advertised again and again and again - all the way back to the old 3GB Japan-only DVD-R+W.
I don't see how people can defend them.

The only thing I can think of is that people often confuse DVD-R(G) standards from the DVD Consortium with their CSS and Video standards.
Two whole different ballgames.

 It just means that by about 2004 +R technology had
matured to a point where compatibility issues dropped to about the same
levels as those of -R.

No.
It meant by 2004 consumer electronics could handle MO technology more reliably. It had *nothing* to do with "maturity" of DVD+R, and everything to do with consumer devices being able to emulate pie-slice MO as a single grove like ROM/WORM.

I urge you to read up on the *physical* differences between MO and ROM/WORM. A MO pie-slice media must be emulated like a ROM/WORM single-grove by the end-device.
It's like trying to get an analog record player to play a hard drive.

And that's just the compatibility, not even looking at longevity.

The funny thing is that Matsushita DVD-RAM has had better compatibility on licensee's drives than Sony/Phlips DVD+RW did in the early years.
And DVD-RAM was never designed for consumer use, but optical archiving.
--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden
Currently Mobile