Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity - verify if backup needed

From: eleanor
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity - verify if backup needed
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 18:04:41 +0100

Thank you, your answer helped me a lot.

But as time goes by, I'm having another problem. Let me desribe my setup so far.

I'm checking if my files are synced with the following command:
duplicity --dry-run /home/user/testing scp://address@hidden/backup/testing

I'm backuping up with:
duplicity --full-if-older-than 1m /home/user/testing
scp://address@hidden/backup/testing

But when the last command gets interrupted, if I do the following
command, my entire remote backup gets deleted. This probably happens,
as "duplicity cleanup" command completely removes the last backup, and
since in my case the last backup is also the first backup, everything
is deleted.
duplicity cleanup scp://address@hidden/backup/testing

My question is. Should the interrupted backup command (the "duplicity
--full-if-older-than 1m" command above) be cleaned (with "duplicity
cleanup") every time the interrupt occurs, or can I just rerun the
"duplicity --full-if-older-than 1m" without problems.

The official documentation here:
http://duplicity.nongnu.org/duplicity.1.html says that running the
cleanup "should only be necessary after a duplicity session fails or
is aborted prematurely".

So I'm asking you, if I directly run "duplicity --full-if-older-than
1m" can something go wrong, which would result in script no longer
backuping data (because of a corrupt backup), or maybe a total
corruption of backuped data?