Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures w/ S3 backend

From: Maurizio Vitale
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures w/ S3 backend
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:37:45 -0400

Haven't had time to investigate much more, but here a few interesting new facts.

Scenario:
        - backup from OpenSuse 11.1, 64 bit, called S (for source)
                - duplicity 0.5.11
                - boto 1.6b
- restore on Ubuntu 8.10, 64 bit running in a vmware VM, called T (for target)
                - duplicity 0.5.10
                - boto 1.6b

        backup on Amazon S3, everything uses the same backup/restore scripts

What works:
        backup on S, restore on S
        backup on T, restore on S
backup on S, restore on T (but not for all backups: my main workspace fails, a smaller directory is ok. Size doesn't seem to matter, though: I tried to reduce the size of (a copy of) the main workspace and it kept failing

        and now the new and interesting thing:
          backup on S (full workspace)
          copy of all files from S to T (using s3cmd)
          restore from the local copy (using file:///path_to_downloaded_files)
        much to my surprise, this works.

Any idea? It seems like the combination of duplicity/boto when run on my vmware machines fail to recognize the files as valid. Possibly they get corrupted while in flight.

My next test will be to go to a physical machine (different from S) and see if I can restore.

Any other suggestions?
Anybody tried to restore on vmware?