Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures w/ S3 backend

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures w/ S3 backend
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 07:03:34 -0500

Maurizio Vitale wrote:
> I'm trying to move my backup system to Amazon S3. I have backup and
> restore working on the system I'm making backups from (OpenSuse 11.1).
>
> But when I try to restore from anywhere else (a phisical machine running
> Ubuntu 8.10 and a number of vmware machines running pretty much
> everything, from Ubuntu 8.10 to OpenSuse 11.1 to Debian 5.0) I get stack
> traces like the following (this is taken on the Ubuntu 8.10 physical
> machine):
>
> 2009-03-09_22:24:37: Starting restore procedure for thor (backup on aws).
> Restored to /home/mav/restored_backup/
> Last full backup date: none
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 482, in <module>
>     with_tempdir(main)
>   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 477, in with_tempdir
>     fn()
>   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 441, in main
>     restore(col_stats)
>   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 223, in restore
>     restore_get_patched_rop_iter(col_stats)):
>   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 238, in restore_get_patched_rop_iter
>     backup_chain = col_stats.get_backup_chain_at_time(time)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/duplicity/collections.py", line 717,
> in get_backup_chain_at_time
>     raise CollectionsError("No backup chains found")
> duplicity.collections.CollectionsError: No backup chains found
> 2009-03-09_22:24:37: Restore complete
>
> The backup is produced by duplicity 0.5.10. The restores are w/ 0.5.11
> (except the one on the system being abcked up, which is 0.5.10).
>
> The boto library vearies w/ the system. I have 1.6b, 1.6a, 1.3a and
> 1.2a.
>
> Any idea about what to look for?

Make sure the backup bucket names match.

Make sure that the backup and restore command lines match w.r.t. options
dealing with filenames (--short-filenames or --old-filenames).

The "Last full backup date: none" and "No backup chains found" tells me
that there may not be any files in the bucket you selected.  Try one of
the S3 access tools to list the bucket.

If all else fails, show us the command lines for both restore and
backup, run the restore with -v9 and dump the log.  If possible, make
sure the version of boto is the same for backup and restore.  It has
been known to differ between versions.  Since it is working on the
OpenSuse system, my guess its a mismatch elsewhere.

...Ken