Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures w/ S3 backend

From: Maurizio Vitale
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Failures w/ S3 backend
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:04:13 -0400

On Mar 12, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Peter Schuller wrote:

A fair number of folks use Amazon for massive backups, so I don't
think
that's the problem.

anybody care to state system and command line used?

Modified for privacy, here is a sample cmdline from a full backup used
in a situation where I have hundreds or thousands of volumes backing
up tens or hundreds of GB of data:

/root/duplicity/duplicity-bin full --allow-source-mismatch --s3-use- new-style --s3-european-buckets --archive-dir PATH/ duplicity_archives_s3/SETNAME --num-retries 500 --volsize 25 -v5 monthly s3+http://BUCKET/SETNAME

you have a good deal of flags I'm not using. I presume --s3-european- buckets doesn't affect me, but the remaining are worth a try. Thanks.

PATH, SETNAME and BUCKET were the only replacements for privacy.

is this for privacy or security? I haven't filtered mine in my logs on the basis that if someone has my AWS id and secret key they can do whatever they want, while if they don't, just knowing the bucket name shouldn't help, should it?

This is however not yet with .10 or .11, so if the problem is recently
introduced, assuming it's a duplicity problem, the above is
irrelevant.

I'll keep the list posted on progress, so that people can look at the archives.

Thanks again,

        Maurizio