Re: [Duplicity-talk] Strange problem using duplicity

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Strange problem using duplicity
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:11:45 +0100

> > calzone:~# sh duplicity.sh
> > Warning, found incomplete backup sets, probably left from aborted session
> > No signatures found, switching to full backup.
> > Error initializing file /dev/log
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 373, in ?
> >     if __name__ == "__main__": main()
> >   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 366, in main
> >     if not sig_chain: full_backup(col_stats)
> >   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 142, in full_backup
> >     bytes_written = write_multivol("full", tarblock_iter, globals.backend)
> >   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 89, in write_multivol
> >     backend.put(tdp, dest_filename)
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/backends.py", line
> > 349, in put
> >     self.error_wrap('storbinary', "STOR "+remote_filename, source_file)
> >   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/backends.py", line
> > 335, in error_wrap
> >     except ftplib.all_errors, e: raise BackendException(e)
> > duplicity.backends.BackendException: 421 Idle timeout (180 seconds):
> > closing control connection
>
> Although I share the reluctance to backup the entire / without
> exceptions, the above happening as a result of this is a bug IMO.

Apologies, the backend does not seem to be doing this to begin with.

I'm not sure what the problem would be, other than some kind of
compatibility issue with ncftp and the server - assuming the control
connection is timing out during an active transfer, without the data
connection timing out.

Actually, which version of duplicity is this? ftplib is not used AFAIK
(I guess it was before?). If this is an older version, I'd recommend
upgrading before any further debugging is done. Particularly if you're
on one of those distros that have the age-old 0.4.10 and such (since
you mention Debian; I believe both sarge and etch have pretty old
versions; sarge definitely does).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'