Re: [Duplicity-talk] Strange problem using duplicity

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Strange problem using duplicity
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:04:34 +0100

> calzone:~# sh duplicity.sh
> Warning, found incomplete backup sets, probably left from aborted session
> No signatures found, switching to full backup.
> Error initializing file /dev/log
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 373, in ?
>     if __name__ == "__main__": main()
>   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 366, in main
>     if not sig_chain: full_backup(col_stats)
>   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 142, in full_backup
>     bytes_written = write_multivol("full", tarblock_iter, globals.backend)
>   File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 89, in write_multivol
>     backend.put(tdp, dest_filename)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/backends.py", line
> 349, in put
>     self.error_wrap('storbinary', "STOR "+remote_filename, source_file)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/duplicity/backends.py", line
> 335, in error_wrap
>     except ftplib.all_errors, e: raise BackendException(e)
> duplicity.backends.BackendException: 421 Idle timeout (180 seconds):
> closing control connection

Although I share the reluctance to backup the entire / without
exceptions, the above happening as a result of this is a bug IMO. The
backend should not rely on established connections to an FTP server
surviving for unreasonable amounts of time.

I had a quck look at the ftp backend and it does look like it is doing
this. I'll file a bug for it, and while I may look at submitting a
patch I'm not making promises.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'