Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 21:04:05 -0500

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:44 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> the current error & fail concept is convenient, if only the reason for the
> error would be delivered more elaboratly (errorcode, stderr).

Note that with my patch, returned error codes do become more
meaningful.  (The code is sent via dbus *and* returned).

> All I wish for is a cleaner error handling and messaging, even if my system
> or user can't deliver dbus and glib.

I'm coming around to your view.  Upon reflection, the need for two-way
interaction with duplicity is limited.  So it's mostly duplicity
telling the world something.  If it helps memory usage, code
integration, and integration with ftplicity, I'm fine with a
text-based format.

Something based on the Python logger module (as Ken suggested) that
writes to /tmp/duplicity.USER/PID in a format somewhat like:

WARNING 2 Bad hairdo

ERROR 13 Bad foobar

I can think about it and write up a revised patch.

-mt