Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:21:57 +0100

Richard Scott wrote:
I'm not saying one or the other are right -- but it's hard to persuade
either camp by using the other camp's arguments :)

I think the problem that dbus solves is a valid problem and one that needs a
solution. Having a
GUI that details what duplicity is doing is a fantastic idea.

agreed.

I can think of two areas where dbus may not be the right solution:

2) Is there any way to read dbus output in a shell script? I don't have a
desktop on my server to
run a GUI yet I may still want to back it up and monitor what's going on.
Without this generic
communications channel I'd be stuck :-(

This plus size plus dependency are my main concerns. But if glib is not necessary, the two last points are obsolete.

We can then feed this output into a GUI via a dbus-helper after we have
formalised the output :-)

This can also be done from an alternative file descriptor, which would leave the stdout output short & human readable (may this can be improved too :)
.

...ede