Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: Richard Scott
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 12:34:33 -0000 (UTC)

Hi,

> I'm not saying one or the other are right -- but it's hard to persuade
> either camp by using the other camp's arguments :)

I think the problem that dbus solves is a valid problem and one that needs a
solution. Having a
GUI that details what duplicity is doing is a fantastic idea.

I can think of two areas where dbus may not be the right solution:

1) If you have more than one dupliciy engine (for want of a better phrase)
running on more than
one server external to your desktop system would dbus be able to communicate
over the network? I
don't know if dbus is best suited for secure/encrypted server->desktop
communication?

2) Is there any way to read dbus output in a shell script? I don't have a
desktop on my server to
run a GUI yet I may still want to back it up and monitor what's going on.
Without this generic
communications channel I'd be stuck :-(

That's the only reason I suggest an alternative as I don't feel that dbus
tickes all the right
boxes for all people.

I also like to keep things simple and being able to pipe output from duplicity
in computer
readable format is IMHO a better step forward.

We can then feed this output into a GUI via a dbus-helper after we have
formalised the output :-)

Rich.