Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 21:29:23 +0200

> (Besides the above, DBus does have technical merits to recommend it --
> easier for multiple processes to watch the same duplicity, type
> checking, cross platform, etc.)

Yeah... dbus was intended to replace "old-style" "obsolete" IPC. It does
have technical merit and it was an important piece in the
Linux-on-the-desktop puzzle. But whenever I run ps and see a bunch of
dbus-daemon and dbus-launch processes (as well as when editing XML files
in a directory aptly named /etc/dbus-1) I have my doubts. It doesn't
seem to do that great on the minimalism, simplicity and cleanliness
principles.

But, again, as an optional component, I don't see any problems with
dbus; and when multiple processes will actually need to watch the same
duplicity, perhaps dbus will become indispensable :)

-- Dan