Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 14:35:07 -0400

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Dan Muresan <address@hidden> wrote:
> glib? The *GNOME* library? In duplicity?

Well, I doubt glib actually stands for anything, but GTK, which
started the whole g library stack, stands for "Gimp ToolKit".  So I
suppose glib is the Gimp Library.  glib is used in many applications,
not just GNOME ones.

I don't have any stats, but my understanding is that glib is not a
bloated library.  Nor does duplicity seem like an application that
of-necessity must have the best possible performance that can be wrung
from it.  It's written in Python, for one.

The proposal of a duplicity-wide glib integration was theoretical so
far, but it would be demonstably useful (to enable frontend
functionality).  You earlier expressed concern about dbus being added,
in the context of using duplicity on servers.  How do you feel the use
of either dbus or glib would make your duplicity experience worse?
You worry about performance?

-mt

P.S. It's worth pointing out that dbus supposedly can use qlib's main
loop instead of glib, but that seems like a toss-up, bloat wise, and
less widely used by the dbus universe.