Re: [DotGNU]Re: MOSIX as WOS

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: MOSIX as WOS
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:58:56 +0200

> Bill Lance wrote:
> >
> > how does this translate into a useful p2p
> > environment?

Let me quickly note that indeed it makes perfect sense to
discuss 2p2 systems in the context of webservices which are by
definition client-server applications.  On one hand the
client-server stuff can be built upon a p2p system; on the other
hand you may want to have multiple servers that communicate wirh
each other through a p2p system.

David Nicol <address@hidden> replied:
> define "useful"

In the context of webservices, I would say in order to be
useful, the system must be able to support

* load balancing between multiple server nodes

* smooth handling of, and recovering from a "network split" in
  which the networked system is temporarily split into two
  systems which are incapable of communicating with each other,
  but which both provide the netservice to clients during the
  split.

My main questions about MOSIX are:

1. Is MOSIX only about making use of the CPUs of multiple nodes,
   or is it also about making good use of the network
   connections between those nodes and the outside world?

2. For purposes of creating a distributed system for providing
   webservices, does it really make sense to do it by means of
   kernel patches?

   (I've always been thinking of WOS as a system consisting of
   sysadmin tools and middleware, all of which would run
   completely in userspace within the DotGNU Secure Execution
   Environment.)

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com