Re: [DotGNU]An interesting clue

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]An interesting clue
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:11:51 +0200

Bill Lance <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here's an article that talks about some of the MS .NET
> developers services.
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D201%2526a%253D16384,00.asp
>
> How does this relate to the dotgnu effort?

It means that it is now important to go forward at full speed
with the development of our own middleware (called "Distributed
Execution Environment" on the DotGNU website).  This "Distributed
Execution Environment", or WOS ("Web Operating System") as I now
prefer to call it, has been part of the DotGNU vision right from
the beginning, but some members of the DotGNU Steering Committee
think that it's "outside the scope of DotGNU".  From my
perspective, the important question is not whether the Free
Software WOS is built within DotGNU or through a separate
coordinating project, the important thing is that we now go ahead
with it.  (Microsoft plans to have their middleware / WOS ready
18 months from now, and of course they'll try to leverage their
effective monopoly of desktop systems to turn their system into
the de-facto standard... so we don't have any time to waste.)

You may expect an announcement concerning these matters shortly.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com