Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU/Jabber Meeting of Oct 12

From: tali streit
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU/Jabber Meeting of Oct 12
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:03:26 +1000

sorry i didn't make the meeting... was travelling. (work, you know--)

just wanted to make a few comments on the discussion -

[17:54] <nb> The urgent objective is to build a webservices platform that is copyleft and that can compete with .NET [17:55] <theo> sorry, dotGNU is a platform being developed by GNU and FreeDevelopers to provide web services, authentication, identity, etc...

i don't know about anyone else, but i seem to lose track between all the "Services", "Frameworks", "Platforms" etc. maybe we should draw up a clear set of definitions as used by dotGNU?

Also, I have been wanting to draw a diagram comparing .NET, dotGNU, all things JAVA, and Mono. can I post it here as a PNG attachment?

[18:10] <theo> then just take the ideas you had for dotGNU, and turn them into "modules" for this jabber auth framework.
[18:10] <theo> then let them conmpete.
[18:10] <nb> In what language are you implementing in, and what license are you using?

so how do we let them compete? -> see next point:

I must be misunderstanding - why would someone become a "dotgnu member"?

[18:31] <theo> and this will lead into jabber and dotgnu's solutions to 'winforms'.
[18:32] <nb> What are "winforms" ?
[18:32] <theo> i think they are microsoft's "solution" to merging the web with the desktop.... in a UI perspective.

"Windows Forms" are forms that run on windows - giving you tree controls and the like. i.e. running on the client. "Web Forms" on the other hand, run in a browser - limited to HTML based form controls. i.e. running on the server.

[18:39] <theo> i will make this a regular, weekly thing.
[18:39] <theo> is Friday or Thursday best for everyone here?

make it thursday?