Re: [DotGNU]webforms/winforms?

From: tali streit
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]webforms/winforms?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:42:13 +1000

Rhys Weatherley wrote:

tali streit wrote:

I am still of the opinion that we have a chance here to get it right
from the beginning, and my belief is that a well featured canvas is

We will probably need to be backwards-compatible with
whatever Microsoft's API uses.  I haven't investigated this
far into .NET, so I don't know how close or far away it is
from enlightenment.

actually, evas is just a canvas - you can use it to "draw" on. it doesn't really have anything to do with controls. you can just plonk text, lines, rectangles and images on it. (i guess it is closer to GDI+ then win/web forms) imlib2, which is closely related, is an image library - it handles the caching and format reading (and i think possibly writing... cant remember).

as for staying backward compatible with microsoft - they hold the System namespace - so i believe we should fully implement all of it in pnetlib. but how about we implement our own, as something like Sys or GNU or dotGNU or something? then we could have Sys.GUI.canvas or... whatever. I don't see much point in extending the System namespace.

But I agree that we should reuse existing canvas
implementations where possible.  No point re-inventing
that wheel.

agreed. with evas we would need a windows port (dotGNU will run on windows eventually, no?) as it is centered on X.
i think evas is a very good step in the right direction. and imlib2 also.

PS. i was in brisvegas on the weekend :)