Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] How to deal with an nasty and vague Acceptable Use

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] How to deal with an nasty and vague Acceptable Use Policy ?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:04:57 +0000

James Grabham wrote:
I'm more intrigued as to what they'd say if you refused to sign it...

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Tim Dobson <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    My College[1] recently asked me to sign their Student Acceptable Use
    Policy (AUP).

    We have been logging on whilst seeing a few obvious things that we
    agree not to do if we click 'yes' for ages, but this year they have
    realised that you can't prove someone accepts an agreement by
    clicking a button so they have produced paper copies for us to sign.

    In line with what I said in 'Why DFEY[2]' I find some of the things
    in the AUP quite far reaching, unnecessary, and ultimately
    unexplainable.

    I wonder if we could take a look at what I've been asked to sign,
    work out where the cracks are and then send my principal a pretty email.

    You can see the document here:
    [~700KB] http://files.tdobson.net/camsfc/camsfcstudentaup.jpg
    [~7MB] http://files.tdobson.net/camsfc/camsfcstudentaup.png

    Cheers