[Dfey-nw-discuss] How to deal with an nasty and vague Acceptable Use Pol

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: [Dfey-nw-discuss] How to deal with an nasty and vague Acceptable Use Policy ?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 15:47:21 +0000

My College[1] recently asked me to sign their Student Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).

We have been logging on whilst seeing a few obvious things that we agree not to do if we click 'yes' for ages, but this year they have realised that you can't prove someone accepts an agreement by clicking a button so they have produced paper copies for us to sign.

In line with what I said in 'Why DFEY[2]' I find some of the things in the AUP quite far reaching, unnecessary, and ultimately unexplainable.

I wonder if we could take a look at what I've been asked to sign, work out where the cracks are and then send my principal a pretty email.

You can see the document here:
[~700KB] http://files.tdobson.net/camsfc/camsfcstudentaup.jpg
[~7MB] http://files.tdobson.net/camsfc/camsfcstudentaup.png

Cheers