Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] How to deal with an nasty and vague Acceptable Use

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Dfey-nw-discuss] How to deal with an nasty and vague Acceptable Use Policy ?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 18:18:52 +0000

Lucy wrote:
2008/11/5 Tim Dobson <address@hidden>:
All of the communication methods listed above could be extremely helpful to
someone trying to learn how to do something - the quickest way to find out
how to do something could be to ask on IRC...

In a situation where students are meant to be sucking in as much information
about the subject they are studying, is communication with other like minded
people such a bad thing?

Okay, to play within the rules, what if the college provided some
forums that allowed you to talk to like minded people within the
college?

Interesting suggestion. I've actually seen this implemented in at least one place. My previous school had a internally moderated social forum through the Moodle VLE.

It was inaccessible to outsiders and put names to posters. Moodle is horrible as forum software but in my time it built up quite an identity until people started criticising.. anything actually and entire threads started getting deleted...

On a more technical level, allowing students within the college isn't really going to help one learn much because the only information on how to write functions in VB for example will come from other students who probably just know what they have been taught...

In addition, plagerism is probably more likely in a very closed environment where everyone uses the same examples of how to do $foo in $barlanguage.

In general, I think closed environments are a bad idea.

I can understand that the college wants to restrict personal
communications/web-surfing, I'm sure it was the same 'in my day'
although I just quietly ignored it (like everyone else).

Hehe. Quietly ignoring it is a 'great' plan until someone comes down on you with everything they have as they object to you using CGI:Proxy/phpproxy/tor to check your personal email/slashdot/anything with *blog* in the url... ;)

It's best to object loudly when you are not in the wrong than hope that by staying quiet, things won't effect you.

--
www.tdobson.net
----