Re: scheme shamble, was custom keymap

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: scheme shamble, was custom keymap
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 15:26:46 +0100

On Fri, 2020-09-04 at 09:24 -0400, aaron mehl wrote:

> Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
> On Sep 4 2020, at 9:18 am, Richard Shann <richard@rshann.plus.com>
> wrote:
> On Fri, 2020-09-04 at 08:15 -0400, aaron mehl wrote:
> > > Also how do I open it in the command center so I can assign a
> > > shortcut to it that way?
> > Once it is in the menu system you can set a shortcut as usual.
> > -----------------------
> > nice now that I know how to do it
>
> well, you already knew how to set a shortcut on a command that exists
> in the menu system, what you may have been thinking is how to set a
> shortcut to execute the Scheme you have just written. There is a
> command
>
> Command: Execute Scheme
> Execute the scheme code from the scripting window
> Location: Main Menu ▶ _Edit
> Internal Name: ExecuteScheme
>
> to do that, but you would usually only set a shortcut on that command
> for trying out your script multiple times, otherwise you can just
> click
> on Execute in the Scheme window.
> -------------
> which I did and not always anything happened in the gui as a
> result...
That would be because the script failed to do what you were expecting -
if your Scheme script has errors you will only see messages about it on
the console (so you need to launch Denemo from a terminal).

> I  indeed knew how to set a shortcut for a menu item and I didn't
> find by fiddling how to set a shortcut for a scheme script.
> If this isn't in the help for scheme scripts (I looked but I may have
> missed it) then this is a bug in the docs.

most commands do not have any specific mention in the documentation.
There are about three thousand of them, so I'm not sure if it would
help to print them all out in the docs. It is possible to search for
commands in the Command Center - typing "scheme" into the search box in
the command center comes up with the command to execute the script in
the Scheme Window.