Re: [Denemo-devel] Melisma Start / End directives

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Melisma Start / End directives
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 12:48:49 +0000

On Wed, 2017-01-18 at 19:10 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Am 18.01.2017 um 11:09 schrieb Richard Shann:

> >> Hmm, intuitively I would expect a command under Lyrics to affect the
> >> text in the lyrics pane, while placing it under Notes/Rests suggests to
[...]
> > where it is essential to use that syntax?). We could always add it with
> > a health warning, of course...
>
> Well, I think you *can* do everything by using underscores in the
> lyrics, but it is not quick to look over a whole bunch of underscores
> (say, 20).

IIRC that is what the "Skip syllables in selection" is for - you can
just type the number of underscore you need, essentially.

>  Thus, it may be much more convenient to use the \melisma and
> \melismaEnd directives, especially for ancient music.
>
> How do you adapt the Denemo display for slurs? Can you use the same
> mechanism for the melisma directives?

Not without introducing flakiness - slurs, ties and grace notes are all
understood by Denemo - they are hard wired into the C code. Manual
beaming etc are just bits of LilyPond syntax Denemo is instructed to
output.