Re: [Denemo-devel] Gregorian Chant in Denemo

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Gregorian Chant in Denemo
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 12:01:03 +0000

On Mon, 2017-01-16 at 21:32 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Some comments to the Gregorian palette:
> * First of all, it simplifies working with chant very much, thank you.
> * It would be practical if the directives would toggle, so that one can
> easily remove a directive that one has applied by mistake, e.g. to the
> wrong note.

the ones that apply to a single note are easy to make into toggles -
just do (if (d-Directive-chord? tag) (d-DirectiveDelete tag) (begin ....
and then the creation code you have already)
this deletes the directive if it exists, otherwise the (begin ...) is
executed creating it.

> * The order of the buttons could be changed.

I hope you are aware that you can re-order a palette as a user? Of
course once we have a reasonably complete set of buttons we would want
to order them, which is quickest to do with a text-editor on the
palettes.xml file. One thing to bear in mind when re-ordering is that if
you are activating the buttons using the "p" command then the amount of
the label you have to type depends on how early in the palette the
button comes - so it would be slower if you labelled Divisiones Maior
and then Divisiones Minor, better to use something more like a mnemonic
that differs in the first letter or so. (e.g M div, m div)

>  For instance, Flexa and Pes
> should be beside each other as they are both ligatures. Ictus and episem
> (directives EpisemInitium and EpisemFinis) are articulation signs.
>
> Something else: Begin Melisma and End Melisma could be added to the
> Notes/Rests menu, since they are something used generally for many kinds
> of music.

What do they do? I just tried them but didn't see anything in the
typeset.