Re: [Denemo-devel] Need help with file

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Need help with file
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 09:20:57 +0000

On Sun, 2016-02-07 at 00:14 +0100, Haris Brkovic wrote:
> I put in "score ragged right false" script in score menu.
> I also put "movement ragged right true" script to movement menu.
> (changed f to t in second script you sent me)
> Denemo, Lilypond default staff view is not stretched. So I stretch
> whole score to right margin with score script. Than I narrow to
> original, natural position individual movements.
> It works great. It is what I need.
> I could rewrite your scripts if I need opposite scenario.
> If I find something wrong appear I'll report.
> So my practical technical idea is:
> Lilypond gives default natural, not stretched line position
> One score script is needed to stretch whole score.
> One movement script is needed to narrow movement or line to natural
> position.
> One movement script is needed to widen movement or line to right
> margin if you need to change it different from default score position.
> Actually, three scripts are needed to effectively manipulate score.
> Because one is by default given.
>

> What strikes me more that I can freely costumize menus in Denemo.
> Thats totally fantastic. Just that I managed to put scripts in menus
> all by my self is fantastic.

I didn't mention creating commands because I didn't want to overwhelm
you with information. But it seems that you have achieved this by
yourself! You will find that your new commands are stored in two files

~/.denemo-2.0.1/actions/menus/ObjectMenu/Score/Typesetter/<command-name>.xml,
scm

and likewise for the Movement ones. Here "~" means your home directory
and <command-name> the name of the command you invented (that's why it
is important not to duplicate command names, in fact, they must be
unique across all menus).

 The .xml one is a description of the command while the .scm one is the
Scheme script. When you saved the commands you were asked if you wanted
to add them to your command set, and if you said yes then
~/.denemo-2.0.1/actions/Default.commands has a reference added to it
copying the information from the <command>.xml file.

I mention all this because when you come to upgrade to a new version you
will be asked if you want to keep your preferences, palettes and
commands. If you do (so copying them from ~/.denemo-2.0.1 to
~/.denemo-2.0.2) it may be necessary to re-load the default commands to
take up any new commands that are in the installed version. You can do
this from the Command Center. (This should happen automatically, but it
is good to be aware of the issues involved if you have your own commands
and upgrade). You will never lose anything - the old .denemo-2.0.1
directory is never deleted by Denemo.

A lot of the work in creating new commands is in choosing carefully the
name, label, tooltip and location of the command. So if you can send me
your new commands ready for installation it would be a good way to
contribute to Denemo.