Re: [Denemo-devel] Is there a way to have all pop-up windows be on top

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Is there a way to have all pop-up windows be on top
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 09:01:56 +0100

On Wed, 2015-10-14 at 15:16 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> Ok. I have some time to do more testing on this. The pallets are now
> launching above the denemo edit window. This is good. They don't stay
> that way though. If I click on the edit window they disappear behind
> the main window.

That seems to be a choice by the Apple window manager to ignore the
request to stay on top. The only workaround will be to keep palettes
docked.

> Here is another weird thing that is new.... When I select change
> movement title, done becomes iconified (is that the right word? The
> window disappears and I have to click on the icon in the doc in order
> to see it.

I'm not sure what steps you are describing here: I just tried (on my
Debian box) Movement->Simple Titles->Title
and it gave me a dialog which stayed on top. The code compiled with
_MACH_O_ defined defines a preference Denemo.prefs->hide_windows to be
0, if I set it to 1 in the debugger and then try the same command then
it pops up the more extensive edit window (the multi-line text and music
one with the preview button) and does not hide the main window. This
multi-line text and music window stays on top - clicking on the Denemo
Main Window has no effect. If the multi-line text and music window
behaved as the simple text entry dialog and hid the main window I'm not
sure if/how the preview button would work.

>  The movement name change dialog is pervasively in front.
are you referring to the multi-line text and music dialog with preview
button?
>  This is good. When I click on the main edit window it stays on top of
> the edit window. This is the way way the pallets should behave with
> denemo being iconified.

my experiments with using iconize routines in GTK were not promising,
when the Main window is iconized the dialog windows that belong to it
iconized too, so it was useless for drawing attention to where the input
was desired.

I suspect the only way to make an Apple friendly version would be to
make the dialogs appear inside the Denemo Main Window. There are window
managers on GNU/Linux distros that do not handle applications that pop
up separate top level windows gracefully, I recall Nils describing this.
But that would be a proper little project...

Richard