Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows Build 0.8.13 and Menucleaning

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows Build 0.8.13 and Menucleaning
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 19:19:15 +0000

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 19:04 +0100, Nils wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 17:29:38 +0000
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 18:10 +0100, Till Hartamnn wrote:
> > > I haven't read recent denemo-mailinglist-mails thoroughly, but:
> > > for gnome it is "gnome-open filename.extension", for Windows I think
> > > it
> > > was "start filename.extension", on Mac it might be "open
> > > filename.extension" (which also exists on most/all linux
> > > distributions,
> > > but "open" will try to find an application able to open the final
> > > inside
> > > the terminal).
> > > I hope that is at least of some help to you.
> >
> > Thanks for this. I have tried
> > start denemoprint.pdf
> >
> > on a windows vista box and it works. And, in fact,
> >
> > start denemoprint.ly
> >
> > successfully ran lilypond on the file.
> >
> > On my Debian default setup, open failed with:
> >
> > Could not get a file descriptor referring to the console
> >
> > which is presumably the problem you are referring to. The gnome-open
> > command worked.
> >
> > How should we make use of this? One of the wrinkles is that on windows
> > if the viewer is not closed the file it is viewing cannot be re-written,
> > so subsequent print attempts fail.
> >
> > Richard
> >

> I think for Linux its no problem that people enter their tools themselves.
> Maybe (for Windows, too) a GUI file open Dialog would be nice for the
> Pref-Fields.
>
> For Windows It might be nice to leave the pdf viewer field there, but empty.
> Empty means "start", if you enter a binary then this is used instead.

yes, that sounds good - the form of the command is the same (i.e. it is
as if start was the name of the command that you need).
> This does not solve the problem you discribed, but there is Hack that works
> right now?
>
> To lilypond:
> I am not sure how the entire lilypond situation is handeld since we use GUB.
> Denemo has its own Lilypond now and I think the reason was (in fact I voted
> for "include ly") that a)Its secured that there is at least one Ly-version
> and b)that we know a Ly version is used that works with Denemo.
> What I don't know is how this Lilyond is registered globally. There is a
> Desktop-Shortcut after installation,

> but afaik the GUB install does not make any windows-registry changes, which
> is very good but is a proof that Denemos lilypond is not globally avaible.
>
> That means: To rely on start xy.ly, if my believe is true, will not work if
> there is no global Lilypond installed.
It seems that this is not the case. I have just experimented, and it
seems that installing denemo sets up the file association with .ly to
lilypond that is inside the GNU_Denemo tree. It does this if there is no
file association already.
I had set up a file association for a non-sysadmin user for .ly to
notepad, and this was not changed by the sysadmin account installing
denemo. However, once this had been done, the user was offered lilypond
as "recommended" programs for .ly (under the properties menu item).

>  So lets keep with the current relative path to lilypond-windows.
yes
> Maybe it just works fine and my system crashed because of other reasons (it
> was a VM after all).
I think so, there is no reason to suspect denemo of crashing when unable
to spawn the external programs - we have done it plenty of times.

However, my experiments suggest users who have an alternative file assoc
set for .ly  will have to set the pref dialog box up.

Let's go with that.