Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows Build 0.8.13 and Menucleaning

From: Nils
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows Build 0.8.13 and Menucleaning
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:04:59 +0100

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 17:29:38 +0000
Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 18:10 +0100, Till Hartamnn wrote:
> > I haven't read recent denemo-mailinglist-mails thoroughly, but:
> > for gnome it is "gnome-open filename.extension", for Windows I think
> > it
> > was "start filename.extension", on Mac it might be "open
> > filename.extension" (which also exists on most/all linux
> > distributions,
> > but "open" will try to find an application able to open the final
> > inside
> > the terminal).
> > I hope that is at least of some help to you.
>
> Thanks for this. I have tried
> start denemoprint.pdf
>
> on a windows vista box and it works. And, in fact,
>
> start denemoprint.ly
>
> successfully ran lilypond on the file.
>
> On my Debian default setup, open failed with:
>
> Could not get a file descriptor referring to the console
>
> which is presumably the problem you are referring to. The gnome-open
> command worked.
>
> How should we make use of this? One of the wrinkles is that on windows
> if the viewer is not closed the file it is viewing cannot be re-written,
> so subsequent print attempts fail.
>
> Richard

I think for Linux its no problem that people enter their tools themselves.
Maybe (for Windows, too) a GUI file open Dialog would be nice for the
Pref-Fields.

For Windows It might be nice to leave the pdf viewer field there, but empty.
Empty means "start", if you enter a binary then this is used instead.
This does not solve the problem you discribed, but there is Hack that works
right now?

To lilypond:
I am not sure how the entire lilypond situation is handeld since we use GUB.
Denemo has its own Lilypond now and I think the reason was (in fact I voted for
"include ly") that a)Its secured that there is at least one Ly-version and
b)that we know a Ly version is used that works with Denemo.
What I don't know is how this Lilyond is registered globally. There is a
Desktop-Shortcut after installation, but afaik the GUB install does not make
any windows-registry changes, which is very good but is a proof that Denemos
lilypond is not globally avaible.

That means: To rely on start xy.ly, if my believe is true, will not work if
there is no global Lilypond installed. So lets keep with the current relative
path to lilypond-windows. Maybe it just works fine and my system crashed
because of other reasons (it was a VM after all).

Nils