Re: [Denemo-devel] Beginner's questions

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Beginner's questions
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 16:36:57 +0000

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 16:57 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> (I hope this is the right place to ask - if it's not, please direct me.)
>
> Having spent an afternoon playing with Denemo on my Gentoo Linux system, I'd
> now like to ask for some guidance. I'm a member of a male-voice choir, so I
> want to lay out a score for four vocal parts and their accompanying piano.
> Perhaps Denemo is overkill for this, I don't know.
>
> 1.    The package includes the template choral/SATB-Piano.denemo, and I'd
> like
> to know whether a similar one exists for TTBB with piano.
Once you have created it once do Template Save, and it will store it for
you locally. And if you send it to this list we can put it in.

> 2.    I have a roughly hand-notated score for a simple carol, which I'm
> trying
> to lay out more legibly using Denemo, but I haven't found how to make the
> result look like the TTBB+piano scores I'm used to using. I can see how to
> put two tenor voices, or baritone and bass, on a single stave, but how do I
> make all one voice's stems point up and all the other one's down?
There is a simple LilyPond command for doing this: If you insert
\voiceOne
at the start of the music on the first voice and
\voiceTwo for the second LilyPond will take care of it. (It will not
show on the screen, only in the PrintPreview). (You insert the LilyPond
via Other->Insert LilyPond Directive). If you put these in the template
it will be more useful.

> 3.    The lyrics are essential, of course, but I can't see how to write them
> align with their notes. Is there, for example, a syllable marker?
You can enter a single line of lyrics using the command Other->Enter
Lyric on each note. For multiple lines you would need to study the
File->Open Example->Several Verses.denemo
which would involve studying LilyPond a bit.

> 4.    How can I make the printed version wrap?
????
Printing is done by using the LilyPond typesetter, and it always wraps.
See the FAQ on the website.

Thank you for your interest.