Re: [Denemo-devel] draft of real-transposition script

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] draft of real-transposition script
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:22:34 -0600

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 14:21 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:

> > might
> > > expect to find it in Educational. You can copy the same file into
> > two
> > > places, and I think this will result in one command (but I am not
> > sure,
> > > it may need fixing); but can you create a link (symbolic or hard?)
> > and
> > > still install it with the final .deb packager.
>
> > And will it all work?

I just creating a symlink from
/usr/local/share/denemo/actions/menus/MainMenu/EntryMenu/MIDI/CheckPitches to
/usr/local/share/denemo/actions/menus/MainMenu/Educational/CheckPitches

It worked fine. So yes. Symlinking will work. I copied it over and it
worked also.

> ********* note this question!!! *******
> >
> > The debian packager would use dh_link to set up the links when
> > packaging. I just read up on this. Also autotools will set the links
> > when doing a make install with something like this in the Makefile.am
> >
> > install-data-hook:
> > $(LN_S) $(DESTDIR)/actions/menus/MainMenu/EntryMenu/MIDI/CheckPitches
> > $(DESTDIR)/actions/menus/MainMenu/Educational
> >
> > A line like this would be entered for each link and the debian
> > packager
> > would have to set all these links with dh_link.
> >
> > I can get started on this. I will modify Makefile.am and push this
> Did you check that it will work for us?

Both symlinking and copying worked the same as far as I can tell.

> If you have the links in place
> in /usr/local/share/denemo/actions/menus

> ... does the right-click notice
> and offer to load the new menu item, and succeed, and put it in the menu
> system where the link is, not where the orignal file is.

I created a test menu item in educational via the menu gui. Then I
loaded up denemo. I applied the test menu item and right clicked on it.
I saw the CheckNotePitches (that was a symlink). I loaded it and it
appeared where I wanted it (under the Educational menu). So yes this is
working.

> (I expect it
> all to be ok, are you proposing symbolic links?...)

I think it is kind of 6 on one half dozen the other. Symlinks may be
more work for the package maintainer if there is a lot of them. It also
requires editing Makefile.am to tell autotools to create the link upon
make install. Copies would increase the size of the tarball. I am pretty
sure git will let us have multiple files with the same name if we want
to go that route.

I am reading over the debian maintenance guide because I don't think the
install hook we have for the actions is very debian friendly when it
comes to packaging. It seems to screw up when using the program
checkinstall. This may not be the case though when doing the official
debian way. I am looking into it.