Re: Features for a new release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi output faul

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Features for a new release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi output faulty for whole measure rests in 4/2 time)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:34:36 +0000

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 23:18 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> feels closer to a piano than most keyboards. It only cost me $250.
My eyebrows rose at the word "only"!
> purchased it on sale at Guitar Center. I am currently connecting it
> with
> a tascam us-122 usb sound card. I do not recommend this sound card
> though. After 2 years of good usage it is broken. Only midi works on
> it
> now. I use to own a MAudio 1x1 uno that worked well for me. I gave it
> a friend when I purchased the tascam. I am actually considering buying
> another MAudio uno because in the studio I teach in they have a
> digital
> piano that can be controlled via midi. I thought it would be cool.
>

> >  But it doesn't have a USB output, only midi
> > connector, and so I started looking for those, only to find that
> they
> > are much more expensive. Which I can't really understand, as I see
> midi
> > to USB conversion cables sold for next to nothing - I don't know
> what
> > these really do, let alone whether Alsa &c support them...
>
> I think you asked in a previous email about how these work with linux.
> After you have loaded the appropriate firmware to the device
??? What is this bit? I did a bit more hunting around and found that
these USB-midi things talk about being plug and play, meaning no drivers
needed; is it the transactions that go on when you plug the device in
that you are referring to as "loaded the appropriate firmware"?
Also, these things vary in price by a factor of three - are there
quality issues that anyone knows of?