Re: Features for a new release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi output faul

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: Features for a new release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi output faulty for whole measure rests in 4/2 time)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:09:13 -0500

On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 11:35 +0100, Nils Gey wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> a few thought about this topic.
>
> 1)There are two ways to enter midi to get notation:
>   a)Enter them one after another, without timing information. You choose the
> length (half, quarter...) of the Note in Denemo and then press a midi key or
> a chord (any note that is played a few ms after the first belongs to the
> chord) and its entered to the currently selected staff at the cursor
> position. For me, in the past, that was the most quick and reliable way to
> get clean notation out of midi. If you want to Notate via a Midiinstrument I
> would suggest this method.

I could add this feature for next release. I would prefer chords to be
entered via the foot sustain pedal. When I do step entry I enter the
notes in so fast that it would think it was a chord for sure if I used a
timing method. I timing method could be used for people who don't have a
foot pedal. I think maybe triggered by overlap of more than one note
longer than a few ms. I think the foot pedal could be used for a control
mode also. Maybe if the pedal is hit alone and then released then next
key would change the rhythm a=0, b=1, c=2, d=3, e=4, this would not work
for rests or dotted notes though. The user would still have to move her
hands to the computer keyboard.

I know how to implement this using alsa and oss methods. This won't work
in windows. I would need to learn how this is done with portaudio to get
that to work on windows.

>   b)Real-time-recording, as you know and discussed, is to have a metronome or
> some time-signal and then play along. I have never seen any application that
> does good work and I tried many. You will need heavy quantisatzion(?) and
> lots of human work after you recorded to correct everything. Drum notation is
> even more a pain to record. Live-recording is normally for non-notation
> people with pianoroll and all this sequencer-things. I suggest to drop that
> feature and if you want a more "humanized" playback there are other ways (for
> example via scripts) .

Yeah. I always found setting quantization confusing. Some people I know
at work enter notation in this way. Piano is their main instrument
though.

> 2)To the sequencer topic. I don't know what these libs are that you
> mentioned, but I gathered a few links regarding linuxaudio and jack-midi,
> maybe there are helpful.

Thanks for the links,
Jeremiah